1. The 66th
Independence Day was observed with a ceremonial function in the morning of 15 August at the Embassy Residence. The National Flag was unfurled by Ambassador Shri Pavan K. Varma followed by the National Anthem. Ambassador read out the Presidents Address to the Nation. Thereafter he inspected the Guard of Honour by contingent of the Indian Military Training Team in Bhutan.
2. Dasho Penjor, Zimpon (Chamberlain) to HM the King, presented a scarf to the Ambassador on behalf of the Royal Government. Zimpon, along with Cabinet Secretary, Dasho Penden Wangchuk, Foreign Secretary Dasho Yeshey Dorji and Officiating Chief of Protocol Mr. Tshewang C. Dorji, represented RGoB in the ceremony.
3. The Flag Hoisting ceremony was attended by the officers and other ranks of the Indian Military Training Team, DANTAK, Indians on deputation with the Royal Government, visiting Indian artists, representatives of Indian Public Sector Units and other members of the local Indian community. Over 250 members of Indian community were present at the flat hoisting.
4. About 250 invited guests including members of the royalty, government officers, business community, prominent people of Bhutan and Indian community members attended the evening reception hosted by Ambassador. Noted dignitaries who attended the function included members of royalty, Prime Minister Jigmi Y. Thinley, Speaker of the National Assembly Jigme Tshulthrim, Chief Justice Sonam Tobgye, leader of the opposition Tshering Tobgay and Cabinet Ministers. The reception was followed by a performance by one of the most celebrated couple Kuchipudi dancers, Maestro Guru Jayarama Rao and Vanashree Rao from India. The performance was highly appreciated by the audience. The visit was arranged by ICCR / sponsored by Nehru Wangchuk Cultural Centre, Thimphu.
5. The functions held on 15thAugust were well covered by the local Bhutanese media, both print and audio visual. Copies of reports of local print media are enclosed.
6. Ambassador gave interviews to the local newspapers Business Bhutan / Bhutan Today (copy enclosed).
7. On the occasion of Independence Day, Business Bhutan, with assistance from the Embassy, published a pullout on Indo-Bhutan Memorabilia, copy of which is also enclosed. The pullout was distributed among local dignitaries in the morning and evening functions at Embassy on 15 August 2012. It was also distributed in the government offices, schools, businessmen, other important institutions and general public along with the newspaper on 15 August 2012.